Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Good afternoon from Penza!

It felt so good to sleep in a bed last night! It had been two days since we had been able to really stretch out. Even though our bed is shaped like a V in a room with no windows (not to mention the crazy wallpaper) next to the elevator we were thankful to have a place to sleep. My mom and kids called when the kids got home from school, which was about midnight here, and I was so thankful to talk with them! They sounded great and told me all about their day and how they are getting ready for their trip to meet us in Germany on Thursday. Gabi also told me that Aunt Suzanne and Karen are getting her room ready for when she returns and how excited she was about it.

The phone rang this morning in our hotel room and it was Serga and Angelica. They are people we have heard about but have never met. They are missionaries here in Penza whos main calling is orphanges. They also work with Scott Werntz with Fireworks, which help to get the kids who gratuade from the orphanges help and minister to them. They had some very interesting stories and I wish I could write them all and allow you to see how God has orchestrated their lives to be at the place where they are right now. But the most impressive thought they left us with was how protestants are really becoming persicuted in Russia again. They said there was an open window in the 90's that allowed the Baptist church to come in and show people who Christ was and that you could have a relationship with him and it was not through works but by grace that you are saved. They became believers after searching for Christ only to find no answers until one day an American knocked on their door and told them about a video that was going to be shown at a rec center down the street. They decieded to go and that is where they saw Billy Graham and heard the "good news" that they could start a relationship with Jesus Christ. Today, their church is down to 100 people, the government and Russian Orthedox Church has spread lies saying that Baptist is a cult and they kill babies, and have other sacrifices. They are very oppressed now and have seen many of their church members go back to the Russian church from pressure. When we asked how they became Christians his eyes lite up and he said "thank you for asking!! I love to tell the story!"

My prayer today is that we, as Christians in America, would say "thank you! I love to tell the story!". We have such a priveledge to be able to worship or God openly and share openly. We have an even greater joy living in the Bible belt and being able to share with so many believers but lets not forget that it is a privledge and joy to share. Your words may change an individuals life forever. I know I assume so many people I know have a relationship with Christ and I need to be better about assuming. If you are reading this blog right now I pray that you know Christ or will get to know him soon. He is my joy, my rock, my salvation and I can do nothing without him. My prayer is you will feel the same way about him if you don't already.

Sandi's verse for today is "whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying,"This is the way, walk in it." Isaiah 30:21

Love you all, pray for our persucuted brothers and sisters in Christ today.

Jason and Stephenie

No comments:

Post a Comment