Tuesday, March 10, 2009

One day closer to home!

It is Tuesday afternoon and we are one day closer to home. Halleluiah!! I can hear the angels singing…or is that JR and Gabi?

We have had a fun two days but I have to confess I've been a little depressed. I've missed Gabi and JR so much it hurts! The court decision to waive the 10 day wait period was such a blessing but it also meant we won't see Gabi and JR for about 14 days straight and I had not prepared myself to endure that. As I type this I realize how crazy it sounds. How many times have I prayed for a getaway and now that I have one all I want to do is go home! From this moment on I am going to live in the moment and enjoy my wonderful, handsome husband and my beautiful, perfect little boy. FYI…Sandi's verse for today is Phil 4:6 "Do not be anxious about anything…" how perfect is that!! Way to go God!

Jason took Lex swimming yesterday and I got to video the experience. It was pretty great. When they got to the edge of the pool Lex started whining because he wanted to take his bathing suit off. I think he thought it was a big bath tub. Why wouldn't he? After Jason held him and went deeper into the water he began to ease up and enjoy himself. He really started to like the water and after an hour and half of Jason swimming with Lex on his back, teaching him how to kick, and splashing each other to death Lex still did not want to get out of the water. I am so glad he enjoys the water and is not afraid of it. You all know what water people we are and Lex will have a full summer by the pool and in the lake or Ocean.

After swimming I made some sandwiches in the room while the boys showered off and then it was time for a nap. We haven't had nap time around our house in years so it will be interesting if it continues when we get home. Now that I think about it, isn't the 3rd child supposed to nap in the car on the way to pick up the other kids or going to soccer practice? I don't think they really get designated naps do they? Anyway, Jason went downstairs in the hotel to catch up on some email and I stayed in the room with Lex and read part of a great book that my sister-in-law Earlena got us called "Loving the Hurt Child". It has some wonderful thoughts and techniques we have already began to use on Lex. One of them being to nurture them as you would an infant. They missed out on those important years so it is like food to their soul when you cradle them, say nursery rhymes and sing to them. He has really enjoyed this interaction. When Jason came back upstairs he was ready to go out. I could have stayed in and ordered room service but I knew it would be good for me to get out. After crying for a while about missing Gabi and JR I got ready and we headed out for dinner. We walked past some very swanky restaurants and Jason was sweet and said "let's go in and eat, it will make you feel better" but I just wasn't in the mood. We walked in a very expensive department store called Gym, they pronounce it "goom" and it was interesting to see how many international designs they had. Very vogue! We decided to eat at the same restaurant we ate at the night before with the buffet because it was so good and we knew it would be a sure thing. This whole time Lex is being such a champ. He is very obedient, doesn't make a fuss and is happy to be along for the ride. He is already saying a few words in English like "open, 1,2,3 go!, and the all important peepee". He has said Babi and R and Gabi and JR, and repeated a few other words for us but not sure any of them stuck.

Last night Jason and I went to sleep early but woke up when mom and the kids were trying to reach us. It was 12:30am here but I would have gladly woken up at any time to talk with them. It was wonderful hearing their voices and their stories of the week. Faith had a bomb scare last Thursday, Gabi stubbed her toe really bad and thinks she might lose her nail, and they both miss our dogs tons! After talking to them Jason decided to watch a movie because he couldn't go back to sleep but I on the other hand could sleep much better after talking to our babies. Our alarm clock (Lex) woke us up at its normal time of 6:30am and we started getting ready for our big morning in Moscow. We ate our wonderful buffet breakfast with no one throwing up this morning and our "helper " Oleg was at the hotel at 8am to be at Lex's 8:30am doctor's appointment. The US Embassy works with 3 Dr's in Moscow for their "okay" medically on children being adopted from Russia to the US. This Dr was one of the 3 so we saw 2 other families in the waiting area with their new children. Oddly enough they were all boys around 2-4 years of age. (Hmmm?) Interesting. The doctor was a sweet man that was very good with us and Lex. He said the only thing we have to worry about with Lex is the ladies…he called him a George Clooney look alike. Of course we think it's true! J The doctor also stated that Lex probably has vitamin D deficiency and that his muscles needed to be worked. We have been giving Lex gummy vitamins since we got him and with as much walking and swimming he has already done I think he has begun to work his muscles. Our next stop was the US Embassy where we stayed in the car and Oleg turned in our paperwork, including the new Dr's report, for Lex's visa. We have an appointment tomorrow at 2pm for our interview and then we should be good to go!

Oleg dropped us off at the Kremlin and Jason, Lex and I toured the beautiful walled area for about 2 hours. Again Lex impressed us with his ability to stay still and be a trouper as we went from the Patriarchs Palace to the unbelievable cathedrals and so on… the history and detail is amazing! After touring we were starving and knew there was a mall near Red Square that would have some food. We ate pizza at Sbarro's and it was fantastic. Eating Sbarro's pizza in Red Square is much more exotic and rich tasting then eating it in the food court at Grapevine Mills Mall. I highly recommend it!

It was just a 10 minute walk back to our hotel where we promptly put Lex down for a nap and we laid down as well. We have all been up for about 30minutes and Jason has been answering emails as I type this. Lex is playing independently with his toys, and we are going to try to have him continue independent play every day so he will be okay when we get home and need to get things done around the house. I think Jason has swim lessons planned in about 15 minutes. He is determined to have Lex be able to get to the edge of the pool by the time we get home. That would be great!

All in all it has an amazing blessing have Lex in our lives. We are so thankful God has prepared the steps for us that we have taken and know that His hand continues to guide us. We feel blessed to have such an amazing support group and adoption agency. International Guardian Angel Adoption Agency has been a continual reassurance in our process their love and professionalism has been superb. Our contact, Tanya, in Penza has called twice since we have been in Moscow to check on us, the sweet woman, Alexandra, who runs the agency along with her husband has called several times with love and guidance for us. We are well provided for and our cup over runneth!

We love you all and as always, to God be the glory.

Jason and Stephenie

2 comments:

  1. Stephenie,

    I love following all that you guys are doing. I find myself checking the blog several times a day to see if there is anything new. We can't wait for you guys to get home. I'm so glad things are going so well.

    Fly safe....we love you and can't wait to meet Lex!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - Thanks for keeping us all informed! What time do you all land friday?
    xo,
    sandi

    ReplyDelete